Skip to main content

The Story Behind the Throckmorton Theater By Odessa

Can you imagine Mill Valley without the memorable Throckmorton Theatre? What if it wasn’t bought by Lucy Mercer in the early 2000s? Would is still remain in disrepair? What would happen to the Mill Valley Film Festival and all the art and acting programs? This life sounds quite dreary in our opinion. Whoever has done something or participated in something within the Throckmorton Theatre knows how instantaneously you become enamored with the intricately painted walls, the nostalgic wood furnishing and the welcoming foyer, but it’s not just that, there is this magical feeling in the air that seems almost tangible around you. The laughter, joy and tears that sprinkle out on warm summer nights, or windy fall evenings.
The Throckmorton Theater
The Throckmorton Theatre as we know it now used to be The Hub, which was famed for hosting Charlie Chaplin and regular vaudeville programming in 1914. Which was when the also darling Sequoia Theater opened in the 1920s, the Hub faded away and closed. After the 1920s the Hub became became a series of different venues, a bowling alley, a roller skating rink etc. When the Oddfellows bought it in the 1970s they turned it into a private venue called the Odd Fellows Lodge which hosted the Saturday Nite Movies a noted forerunner to the Mill Valley Film Festival, but it too fell into disrepair. The founder of the Throckmorton Theatre found this jewel and purchased it with a nonprofit organization to preserve art organizations. Mercer even sold her house to restore the theatre. In 2003 the doors opened again becoming the much loved Throckmorton Theatre.

From stand up comedy to teen a cappella the Throckmorton Theatre hosts it all. Artist of all kinds gather there. When researching for this article we found news that the theatre had come dangerously close to closing in 2009. As a nonprofit organization they rely on our contribution as a community. It is our responsibility that the Throckmorton Theatre be a long lasting name in our community. We hope you’ll join us in supporting this incredible institution in Mill Valley.

Popular posts from this blog

February Riddles by Zidane

Answers to December Riddles 1. Love 2. Your age 3. The letter “M” 4. Fire 5. A radio February Riddles 1. I have many servants, in all the number five; they fulfill my purpose, and I keep them alive. What am I? 2. Though it’s true I don’t have many suits, that is what is fair; for when I show my noble face, my lessers can’t compare. What am I? 3. I break through rock, smash through wood, and render steal useless. Yet I am lived in, can be easily contained, and if you don’t use me you will die. What am I? 4. 

November Riddles by Zidane

November Riddles By Zidane Answers to October Riddles 1. His own nose 2.  Stop imagining 3. There are two “me”s. 4. He is going by B.C. years 5. Nothing This Month’s Riddles 1. Mary has four daughters, and each daughter has a brother. How many children are there? 2. What’s red, blue, yellow and green, but no one can touch it, not even the queen? 3. What’s always with one but never with two, and can fill an entire room? 4. What is something that all people share, but never fits in with a group? 5. With sharp fangs I lie in wait, dolling over bloodless prey, eternally enjoying in a single bite. What am I?

Ode to Jicama by Juliette

Ode to Jicama* Jicama, oh jicama I love you so, Jicama, oh jicama you're white like snow. Are you a vegetable or are you a root? I'm falling for you, I need a parachute. Jicama, oh jicama you are so juicy,  Jicama, oh jicama you make me loosey-goosey. How did you get to be so good? And yet, you are still so misunderstood. Jicama, oh jicama you are so healthy, Jicama, oh jicama you snuck up on me, you're stealthy. Jicama, oh jicama you give me vitamin C, Jicama, oh Jicama you hold the key.  Jicama, oh jicama you make a great meal, for jicama, oh jicama you are quite ideal. Juliette *pronounced hick-uh-muh