Skip to main content

🎃Halloween 🎃

Halloween
By: Angela Ramirez

There are many reasons to celebrate halloween; the haunted mansions, old witches, the funny or scary costumes, pumpkin carvings,  and the joy of going trick-or-treating and getting a lot of candy, kids at each house demanding sweets, snacks, and small gifts.

Halloween is a widely celebrated tradition amongst a lot of Americans. In the beginning of October you start seeing very decorated houses, and stores become full of candy ready, for customers to buy. Halloween it the biggest celebration that sells the most candy in the United States, and an enjoyed day filled with mystery, magic, and superstition. Halloween is celebrated on October 31, and it has its roots in the ancient, pre Christian-Celtic festival of Samhain. They believed that putting wine and food outside their doors would keep the bad spirits away from them. Halloween came to America when European immigrants arrived there, bringing their customs with them. Taking from the Irish and English traditions, Americans began to dress up in many different costumes and going house to house and ask for food or money, a practice that eventually became our “trick- or -treat”, a practice that eventually became today’s “trick-or-treat” tradition. In the late 1800s, there was a movement in America to turn Halloween into a holiday more about community, neighborly get-togethers, ghosts, pranks and witchcraft. At the turn of the century, Halloween parties for both children and adults became the most common way to celebrate the day. The parties focus on games, foods of the season and festive costumes.

Popular posts from this blog

February Riddles by Zidane

Answers to December Riddles 1. Love 2. Your age 3. The letter “M” 4. Fire 5. A radio February Riddles 1. I have many servants, in all the number five; they fulfill my purpose, and I keep them alive. What am I? 2. Though it’s true I don’t have many suits, that is what is fair; for when I show my noble face, my lessers can’t compare. What am I? 3. I break through rock, smash through wood, and render steal useless. Yet I am lived in, can be easily contained, and if you don’t use me you will die. What am I? 4. 

November Riddles by Zidane

November Riddles By Zidane Answers to October Riddles 1. His own nose 2.  Stop imagining 3. There are two “me”s. 4. He is going by B.C. years 5. Nothing This Month’s Riddles 1. Mary has four daughters, and each daughter has a brother. How many children are there? 2. What’s red, blue, yellow and green, but no one can touch it, not even the queen? 3. What’s always with one but never with two, and can fill an entire room? 4. What is something that all people share, but never fits in with a group? 5. With sharp fangs I lie in wait, dolling over bloodless prey, eternally enjoying in a single bite. What am I?

Ode to Jicama by Juliette

Ode to Jicama* Jicama, oh jicama I love you so, Jicama, oh jicama you're white like snow. Are you a vegetable or are you a root? I'm falling for you, I need a parachute. Jicama, oh jicama you are so juicy,  Jicama, oh jicama you make me loosey-goosey. How did you get to be so good? And yet, you are still so misunderstood. Jicama, oh jicama you are so healthy, Jicama, oh jicama you snuck up on me, you're stealthy. Jicama, oh jicama you give me vitamin C, Jicama, oh Jicama you hold the key.  Jicama, oh jicama you make a great meal, for jicama, oh jicama you are quite ideal. Juliette *pronounced hick-uh-muh