Skip to main content

The History of Spring Cleaning By Emilia

The History of Spring Cleaning

When I hear those words butterflies of excitement rise in my stomach. It time for “Spring Cleaning.” Spring cleaning has been a tradition in my house for as long as I can remember. Going through my desks and all the random boxes in my house feels as though I’m starting from scratch. It gives me the ability to reorganize my room and make space for brand new things. Spring cleaning is one of my favorite times of the year and going through it this year I started to wonder about the history of the tradition.
 It all started as a Jewish tradition in which families would go through their home and perform a “deep cleaning” in preparation for Passover. Jewish families were supposed to rid their houses of any remnants of chametz for the duration of the holiday. This resulted in a complete cleaning of their homes. Since Passover is in spring the tradition of hunting for chametz took place the week before, hence the name “Spring Cleaning.” As time went on spring cleaning spread throughout different cultures. For example, traditionally, the Catholic church thoroughly cleans the church altar and everything associated with it on Maundy Thursday Catholic churches around the world clean the church altar and everything associated with in preparation for Good Friday and Easter. Also the Persian tradition of khooneh tekouni is much like the present day spring cleaning. Exactly translating to “shaking of the house” khooneh tekouni is a complete cleaning of the house and all objects in it. It is performed on the Persian new year which is the first day of spring.
Present day spring cleaning is a way to start with a clean slate and enjoy a clean house for at least a week. It gives us the ability to let go of what is no longer needed and gives us room to let new possessions into our lives. In all spring cleaning has come a long way since its start and is truly a wonderful and very useful tradition.

Popular posts from this blog

February Riddles by Zidane

Answers to December Riddles 1. Love 2. Your age 3. The letter “M” 4. Fire 5. A radio February Riddles 1. I have many servants, in all the number five; they fulfill my purpose, and I keep them alive. What am I? 2. Though it’s true I don’t have many suits, that is what is fair; for when I show my noble face, my lessers can’t compare. What am I? 3. I break through rock, smash through wood, and render steal useless. Yet I am lived in, can be easily contained, and if you don’t use me you will die. What am I? 4. 

November Riddles by Zidane

November Riddles By Zidane Answers to October Riddles 1. His own nose 2.  Stop imagining 3. There are two “me”s. 4. He is going by B.C. years 5. Nothing This Month’s Riddles 1. Mary has four daughters, and each daughter has a brother. How many children are there? 2. What’s red, blue, yellow and green, but no one can touch it, not even the queen? 3. What’s always with one but never with two, and can fill an entire room? 4. What is something that all people share, but never fits in with a group? 5. With sharp fangs I lie in wait, dolling over bloodless prey, eternally enjoying in a single bite. What am I?

Ode to Jicama by Juliette

Ode to Jicama* Jicama, oh jicama I love you so, Jicama, oh jicama you're white like snow. Are you a vegetable or are you a root? I'm falling for you, I need a parachute. Jicama, oh jicama you are so juicy,  Jicama, oh jicama you make me loosey-goosey. How did you get to be so good? And yet, you are still so misunderstood. Jicama, oh jicama you are so healthy, Jicama, oh jicama you snuck up on me, you're stealthy. Jicama, oh jicama you give me vitamin C, Jicama, oh Jicama you hold the key.  Jicama, oh jicama you make a great meal, for jicama, oh jicama you are quite ideal. Juliette *pronounced hick-uh-muh